WrEN Award for Poetry
Click/tap here to download a one-page pdf file for easier printing. (right-click to save to your desktop)
Note: Competition is over; see winners here.
The WrEN Award for Poetry – "…a big voice in a small frame" – sponsored by Writers-Editors Network
● $200 and one-year membership*** in Writers-Editors Network will be awarded to the poet whose work is "Best in Show."
● The top poet in each category will receive $25 and one-on-one feedback from the poetry judge.
● Categories: Traditional Forms, Free Verse, and Poetry for Children.
● Entry fee is $15 for each batch of 3- to 5-single-spaced pages of unpublished poems submitted under one category; or $10 per entry (one category) for current or new members of Writers-Editors Network.
● Note: Poems are not judged individually, but the full entry of 3 to 5 pages will be judged overall as a "body of work."
● Multiple entries are encouraged.
● In this "blind" contest, each entry cannot identify the poet but must specify the Category.
● Enter via email or mail your poems and contest fee to: The WrEN Award for Poetry, PO Box A, North Stratford NH 03590. (Note: No entries will be returned.)
● Include your name, email, mailing address, and title of each poem on the entry form.
● Awards and finalists will be announced on the website by June 1 with comments on what made the poems outstanding. Winners' awards will be mailed no later than June 1, 2019.
● Since all rights remain with the poet, you're free to submit your poems elsewhere after the contest closes.
● Contest closes at the end of National Poetry Month, April 30.
● Still have a question? Email WrENpoet@mail.com or post on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/The-WrEN-Award-for-Poetry-36804005042 0426/ (shortcut http://bit.ly/2C6L0tt)
*** One-year Writers-Editors Network membership will be an Online Basic membership for new members. If winner is a current active Writers-Editors Network member, he or she will receive a one-year extension of current membership level.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
To Submit Entry via Email
1. Prepare each 3-5 page batch entry in a single file.
2. Title the poems in your entry but do not include your name on any page.
3. Save each entry file as a doc, docx, rtf, wpd, txt or pdf file.
4. Email your entry or entries (in separate files) to ContestEntry@writers-editors.com as attachment(s). Multiple entries may be sent separately or in a single email with multiple attachments.
5. Put "Contest entry attached" or "3 (e.g.) contest entries attached" (without the quote marks) in the subject line.
6. Fill out a separate .doc entry form for each entry and send as an attachment to ContestEntry@writers-editors.com. (Note: If you want only a printable entry form to mail in with your entry (not email), go to this page.)
7. Send in your entry fee(s) for the emailed entry or entries in any of the following ways:
a. Use this PayPal button to pay via credit card or PayPal (on the PayPal form, read "donation" as "entry fee." If the credit card or PayPal account is in a name different from the entry, explain in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
(PayPal button removed as contest is over.)
b. Use your PayPal account to send your entry fee(s) to email@example.com as explained below.
When we have matched up your emailed entry with its entry form and its entry fee, we will email you so you know your entry or entries have been submitted correctly.
OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
2019 WrEN Award for Poetry - for mailed entries -
postmark deadline April 30, 2019
A separate form must accompany each entry; click/tap for a printer-friendly Entry Form doc file or PDF (or you can use this one):
1. Poet's name _______________________________________
2. Poet's mailing address _________________________________
3. Poet's phone (____) __________ Email _____________________
4. CATEGORY for this entry (Traditional, Free Verse, Children):_____
5. TITLES of poems in this entry: _____________________________
6.. ENTRY FEE (check one and enclose fee with entry and entry form):
/ / $10, I am a current WEN/FFWA member or am joining at this time (dues enclosed), and entry is 3-5 pages of poems in one Category
/ / $15, I am NOT a member and am not joining at this time, and entry is 3-5 pages of poems in one Category
/ / I have enclosed membership dues of $ ______ (see Membership page for choices here).
Make entry fee check or money order payable to: CNW Publishing. One check may be written to cover multiple entries if all are mailed in same package (but enclose separate entry forms for each entry). (US $ only)
You may charge your entry fee(s) to: VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express. Charge will appear on your card statement as "CNW Pub," and a receipt will be emailed to you by Square, our credit card processor.
Card # _________________________________________
expiration date. _________ Security (CVV) code: ________
card zip/postal code: __________ (important; card will not be approved without zip/postal code on your credit card statement)
Total charged $______________ credit card name or signature:
You can submit your entry fees via PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org (a verified PayPal user since 2000) even if you are mailing your hard copy entry. Be sure to note with your payment the titles of your poems for matching up. Then mail your entry or entries via postal mail along with entry form(s) - We will email you confirmation when we have received and matched up your entry fees and entries.
7. SEND entry form(s), with entry or entries & fees to: WrEN Award for Poetry, CNW Publishing, PO Box A, North Stratford NH 03590 by postmark deadline of April 30, 2019.